It’s two days after Easter and I’m at that point where I never want to see a ham again. We’ve had ham leftovers for breakfast, lunch and dinner yet there is no end in sight. This is the ham that keeps on giving.
That said, I hate waste. So, finish it we will. One of my favorite ways to use up ham is serving it in breakfast dishes. With four kids, I’m always looking for portable breakfast items. My two teens come and go like a high speed revolving door. Portable breakfasts are a must.
In the past I’ve shared my go to portable breakfast, Good Morning Muffins, but that recipe requires quite a few eggs. And after spending an evening dyeing Easter eggs in preparation for the Bunny’s arrival, we are very low on eggs.
Only two lonely eggs remain which works out pretty well because my Ham Scallion and Cheddar Muffins only require two eggs. That worked out nicely if I do say so myself.
These muffins are blissfully simple to make and the result is a light and fluffy savory muffin with a generous amount of ham and scallions. Hearty but not too heavy. A great way to start your day. Also a great way to use up that never ending ham.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Generous amount of fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup ham, diced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (Swiss works good too)
- ¾ cup scallions, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Grease a standard muffin pan with butter or non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and black pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add milk, eggs and vegetable oil. Mix just until combined.
- Add ham, cheese and scallions. Mix just until combined. Do not over stir.
- Scoop into muffin cups to ¾ full. There is enough batter to fill one dozen muffin wells.
- Bake at 350º for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.