For this recipe, I pulled it into my Thanksgiving dinner appetizer lineup. Hot melty brie cheese topped with a cranberry pecan compote. A sweet tart happy melty mess all wrapped up in the ever versatile phyllo dough. The perfect beginning to a holiday meal!
And as impressive as it looks, it’s not at all hard to make. A quick and easy appetizer that’s just perfect for the holiday season.
- 3 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 orange peeled and diced
- 1 Tbsp orange rind thinly sliced
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup water
- ¼ cup pecans, toasted and chopped
- 1 8oz brie round
- 1 lb pkg phyllo, thawed
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- In a large saucepan, combine cranberries, orange, peel, sugar and water. Bring to a gentle boil and cook for ten minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Lightly grease the center of a baking sheet where you are going to place your brie bundle. This will ensure that it doesn’t stick when removing it from the pan.
- Unroll phyllo sheets and cover with a towel as it dries out quickly. Take one sheet and lay it on the counter. Brush with melted butter. Repeat this six times.
- Place brie in the center of the phyllo sheets. Scoop ¼ to ⅓ cup of cranberry compote on top of brie. Sprinkle pecans on top of cranberry compote.
- Gently pull the phyllo layers up and around the brie as if wrapping a gift. Give the top a squeeze to secure and trim any excess. You can fuss with the dough to fan it out to make it look more decorative.
- Gently brush a little butter around the whole package. Bake in a 350º oven for 25 minutes. Serve while hot.