For my second Captain’s Table Challenge which features recipes using Captain Morgan Rum, I decided to go a little tropical. It’s only mid-Decmeber and I’ve already had enough of the cold weather. I’m dreaming about palm trees and sunshine over here. So this next recipe has a bit of an island flair. Caribbean Short Ribs…
I love that this recipe has the flavors of the tropics but still has the heft of comfort food. I might be jonesing for flip flop weather but my tummy still knows that I live in New England. And after being blanketed with snow this past week, we need a stick to the ribs kind of meal to give us the energy to keep digging out of this fluffy freezing white stuff.
These Caribbean Short Ribs are slow cooked in a sweet and spicy rum sauce for several hours which results in fall off the bone goodness. Molasses, garlic and Caribbean spices such as thyme, allspice and cinnamon pair beautifully with Captain Morgan Rum to create a dish that will make you think you are dining in the tropics even though you are buried under a foot of snow.
Perfect ladled over rice or panfried plantains. Oh how I wish we had plantains in suburbia. Dare to dream.
And to finish the meal I have another spicy offering. My Fireball cocktail. So easy to make, this cocktail features a simple syrup made from fireball candies and a generous splash of Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum. A surefire hit for the holiday parties!
More on the Captain’s Table Challenge…
The Captain’s Table Challenge is not only a great way for bloggers to share new recipes that feature Captain Morgan’s yummy rum, it’s also a way to help a very worthy cause and you can help too. Every time the #CaptainsTable hashtag is used in social media this holiday season, $1 will be donated to the Why Hunger charity. So if you have a great recipe or holiday entertaining tip, post and hashtag away. It benefits a really great cause!
- 2 lb beef short ribs
- ½ cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- ½ tsp allspice
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cayenne
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp molasses
- ¾ cup Captain Morgan Black rum
- 3 cups beef broth
- garnish with finely chopped red pepper and jalapeño peppers
- 1 cup water
- ¾ cup sugar
- 3 oz Fireball candies (any spicy red hot candy will do)
- Captain Morgan Original Spiced rum
- Preheat oven to 325º.
- Combine flour, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp black pepper in a medium sized bowl. Dredge short ribs in the flour mixture and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven on the stovetop. Sear short ribs until browned on all sides. Remove ribs from pan and set on a plate.
- Add onions and garlic to the residual oil in dutch oven. Cook over medium heat until onions are translucent. Add thyme, black pepper, allspice, salt, cayenne and cinnamon. Cook over medium heat for several minutes.
- Add molasses, rum and beef broth. Bring to a simmer. Add short ribs to the broth mixture and place in a 325º oven for 2½ hours or until the meat is falling off the bone.
- Serve with rice or plantains and garnish with finely chopped red peppers and jalapeño.
- Bring water, sugar and fireballs to a simmer. Cook for ten minutes. You want to be sure that the fireball candies are dissolved. Allow to cool completely.
- Pour two ounces on Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum into a cocktail shaker full of ice. Add two ounces of the fireball simple syrup. Shake well and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a candy cane.