This week has been a zoo which you can tell from the lack of posts here on the blog. Between work and having the kids home for the summer, I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed. No, I’m feeling a lot overwhelmed. And then mix in no time to grocery shop and we have a full-on food blogger predicament. It’s hard to cook something delectable when there’s no food in the house.
But there are some ingredients that are always in my pantry and in my fridge. Flour, sugar, milk, butter and eggs. And with that kind of grocery insurance in the house, no one is going to starve.
During weeks like this, I keep mealtime real simple. Breakfast for dinner is the perfect solution for crazy days. Pancakes especially are a welcome meal anytime of the day around here. My kids dig pancakes.
And when you add blueberries and lemon to the old faithful pancakes recipe, mealtime is looking much more spiffy in a jiffy.
I cannot claim creative genius for this pancake recipe. I’ve actually adapted it from another recipe I found on the internet. A fantastic recipe that without fail has produced light and fluffy pancakes. There is nothing worse than dry and flat pancakes. Know what I mean?
But I switched things up a bit by adding blueberries and lemon which are so complimentary. Also, blueberries are pretty darn affordable right now and I’m scooping them up while I can before they skyrocket back up to their luxury price point once the season passes. Why is that season so fleeting?
With Blueberry Lemon Syrup! You might as well. It’s so easy to make that it would be foolish not to, really. Once made, you can use the syrup for all sorts of wonderful things like a topping for yogurt, something to smear on your hot buttered toast, an ice cream topping or straight off the spoon. It is fruit after all. Doesn’t that make it a health food?
- 1¾ cups milk
- 4 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cups flour
- 4 Tbsp white sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 Tbsp butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- ½ cup water
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1-2 Tbsps lemon zest (I used two but I really really like lemon)
- Whisk together the milk and lemon juice. Allow to sit for five minutes to sour. (yes, we are souring the milk on purpose)
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder and soda and salt. Mix to combine.
- Add eggs, butter and lemon zest to flour mixture. Mix to combine. Add milk/lemon juice mixture and stir just until combined. Gently stir in fresh blueberries.
- Heat a griddle over medium heat. For best results, coat griddle with butter. Cook pancakes until little bubbles dot the surface. Flip and cook until bottoms are golden.
- For the syrup:
- Place all syrup ingredients in a sauce pot. Cook on medium-low heat for 10-12 minutes. Allow to cool or serve warm with blueberry pancakes.