For those of you who aren’t aware, I write two different blogs. This one and another called Melanie In The Middle where I write about all kinds of things that have to do with my everyday life. Usually I don’t post recipes over there, but this week I participated in a super fun Cinco de Mayo project with the folks from Avocados from Mexico. I posted an amazing recipe and an even more exciting giveaway that you should definitely check out.
But the recipe is so very tasty and perfect for Cinco de Mayo that I wanted to post it over here to make sure that it went into my recipe archive. Because trust me, I want to make this one again and again.
When the folks from Avocados from Mexico asked if I would develop an avocado recipe for them, I was more than happy to do so. I’m a huge fan of avocados. I eat them several times a week in all different ways. In salads, sandwiches, straight out of the skin and of course in guacamole. My heart goes pitter pat for guacamole.
But this time I wanted to try something totally different. So, I came up with a fritter/hush puppy that is so crammed with flavor that it’s borderline crazy. Crazy good, anyway. Avocado Fritters with Avocado-Cilantro Cream Dipping Sauce.
Roasted corn, red bell peppers and jalapeno peppers, diced bits of cheddar cheese, sweet onion, cilantro and of course, avocados. All fried up into a crispy golden ball. It’s a bite-sized party. Maybe I should’ve named them Fiesta Balls? That just sounds wrong, doesn’t it?
And to make this even better (if that’s even possible), I whipped up an Avocado-Cliantro Cream Dipping Sauce. Cool and creamy, velvety smooth. Wonderful for the fritters but equally good as a salad dressing or a topping for tacos/enchiladas/quesadillas etc.
So, if you are planning on donning your biggest sombrero and shaking your maracas this Cinco de Mayo, I totally suggest making a batch of Avocado Fritters. Your guests will say gracias and maybe even give you un beso. (a kiss)
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1¾ cup cornmeal
- 2 Tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 6 oz cheddar cheese, diced
- 1 cup roasted corn kernels (I just grilled mine)
- ½ cup red bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup sweet onion, diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced (more or less to taste)
- 4 Tbsp cilantro, chopped (more or less to taste)
- 2 avocados, diced
- 2 avocados, mashed
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pour 2″ of vegetable oil into a deep fryer or a heavy skillet and heat to 350º.
- In a large bowl combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Stir to combine. Add eggs, milk, cheese, corn, onion, peppers and cilantro. Stir to incorporate. Gently fold in avocados.
- Scoop batter into heaping teaspoons and gently drop into oil. They are done cooking when golden brown. Drain on paper towels and keep warm in a 200º oven.
- Prepare dipping sauce by mixing all ingredients in a bowl. If you want a smooth consistency, give it a whirl for two minutes in a blender or food processor.