I’m not a morning person. Far from it. But being a mom of four school-aged kids sort of requires that I get up early on weekday mornings. But on the weekends? Forget about it. I’m sleeping in. Luckily my kids are older and can amuse themselves when they get up. They know better than to expect breakfast at 7am on a weekend. I’m a brunch kind of gal on the weekends.
Brunch is splendid, isn’t it? A slow leisurely way of dining that’s just as much about connecting with your loved ones as it is about actually eating. It’s lovely. That said, brunch should include special foods. And the recipe I’m sharing with you today, Mexican Baked Eggs, is just perfect for brunch. So easy to make and I bet you already have all of the ingredients in your fridge and pantry!
Black beans, salsa, fire roasted tomatoes and eggs, all baked together within minutes. The quickest easiest brunch dish you will ever make. Served with warm tortillas, shredded cheese and sour cream, it’s a hearty dish that’s a crowd pleaser and rather glorious to look at.
Rarely will you see me cook with a prepared food item on A Beautiful Bite, but I’m making an exception today because no one will be the wiser that you used a secret helper in this dish. This recipe calls for a jar of prepared salsa. Sure, you could make your own salsa, but in this recipe the prepared variety is just fine and a huge time saver.
- 2 14.5 oz cans diced fire roasted tomatoes (plain diced are fine)
- 1 16 oz jar of prepared salsa
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed
- ½ cup corn kernels (I used frozen)
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- Dashes of hot sauce to taste
- 6-8 eggs
- Sour cream, shredded cheese (cotija or cheddar works well) and tortillas for serving
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, salsa, black beans, corn, cilantro, garlic , cumin and hot sauce. Mix well and pour into a large heat proof skillet. Gently crack eggs on top of tomato mixture.
- Place in oven and cook just until eggs are set. About 7-10 minutes.
- Serve with tortillas, shredded cheese and tortillas.