It looks like Fall is upon us. The air is chilling, leaves are turning color, apples are being picked and Starbucks is selling pumpkin beverages again. Yes, it’s that time of year. Time to pull out those cozy sweaters and spread that down comforter back on your bed. It’s nesting season. My favorite time of year. In a past life I must’ve been a prairie dog. I love to burrow.
This is also the time of year when our favorite television shows ramp back up again. If you’re anything like me, nothing feels better than putting on your cozy clothes and slipping under a blanket while watching your favorites. Even better if a bowl of some fabulous snack is nestled on your lap.
And while my kids love a big bowl of hot buttered popcorn to munch on while watching their shows, I like something a little more adult. So today I’m going to share with you one of my favorites. A blissfully simple to make Macchiato Muddy Buddies recipe that will have the coffee lover swooning with the first handful and completely in love after the second.
If you are scratching your head and wondering what the heck a muddy buddy is, you’re not alone. Part of the country calls this concoction puppy chow, others call it muddy buddies and I’ve also heard of monkey munch. Essentially it’s Chex cereal mixed with some kind of melted sweet like chocolate or peanut butter and then tossed with confectioners sugar. Of course there are a million variations of this which is evident if you do a Pinterest search. But the two things you really need to know about this recipe is that it’s easy to make and highly addictive.
While simple to make, my recipe does call for one unique ingredient. Espresso powder. If you’ve made my Espresso Snaps before (you really should), you are already familiar with the stuff. This powder packs a ton of espresso flavor into whatever recipe you stir it into. It works magically well with chocolate, enhancing its already lusty flavor. If you haven’t tried it yet, give it a whirl. You won’t be disappointed.
We’re going to use it again in the coming weeks in a to-die-for pound cake recipe. You are going to want it for that.
And can I tell you how wonderful this is for football season snacking? If you find yourself the host(ess) of game day, you’ll appreciate how quick and easy this is to make. But make sure to make a bunch. This stuff vanishes before the end of the first quarter if you only make one batch.
- 1 12oz box of Chex cereal (I used rice Chex)
- 1½ cup chocolate morsels
- ½ cup milk
- 2 Tbsp espresso powder, divided
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- Place cereal in a large paper bag.
- Place morsels in a large bowl. Heat milk just until steaming. Pour hot milk over morsels and stir until smooth. Add 1 Tbsp espresso powder and mix until incorporated.
- Pour chocolate mixture over cereal and shake bag well. You want the cereal evenly coated.
- Pour confectioners sugar into another bowl and stir in the 1 remaining Tbsp of espresso powder. Mix well. Dump into bag of chocolate coated cereal and shake well.
- Spread out on cookie sheet and allow to sit for ten minutes. Store in airtight container in the refrigerator.