Keeping recipes light during the holidays can be quite a challenge. Because let’s face it, no one wants to gain weight during the holidays. But holiday parties are usually chockfull of rich sweets, which makes it hard to keep your resolve in the land of holiday temptation.
And while it’s challenging, it’s not impossible to tweak recipes so that they taste indulgent while still being lighter.
Christmas morning I always make a quiche, a fruit bowl and some sweet indulgence. It’s tradition. Crepes are a holiday family favorite and luckily for me, my kids enjoy fruit filled crepes. But still, fruit fillings can be calorie dense which can be problematic. And that brings me to a new product I’d like to introduce you to today; Born Sweet® Zing™ Baking Blend.
Zing™ Baking Blend, made with stevia leaf extract and pure cane sugar, has only 5 calories per serving. It bakes and browns just like regular sugar, so it’s a great choice for people who would like to cut back on calories. Zing™ Stevia Sweetener products are made with only real ingredients, nothing artificial. It comes in a container with an easy pour spout, which makes it not only easier to cook with, but easier to store. And that sounds rather sweet to me.
I used Zing™ Baking Blend in today’s recipe, Cinnamon Crepes with Blueberry Ginger Sauce. This is a wonderful recipe for Christmas morning because it’s quick and easy to make. Completely cooked from scratch, it takes just a short time from stovetop to table. And anyone with little kids knows how important that is on Christmas morning.
- For the Crepe Batter:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp Zing™ Baking Blend
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- For the Blueberry Ginger Sauce:
- 3 cups frozen blueberries (fresh is fine too)
- ½ cup water
- 1 ½ tsp powdered ginger
- ¼ cup Zing™ Baking Blend
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp water
- Whisk together the flour, Zing™ Baking Blend, cinnamon and salt. Add eggs, milk and butter. Beat until smooth.
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat and lightly oil the surface. Scoop ¼ cup of the batter and pour into the pan. Twirl it around to make a thin circle. Cook until the underside is light brown and then flip and cook until lightly golden on the other side. Repeat for remaining batter.
- For the blueberry sauce, place blueberries in a medium sized saucepan. Add ½ cup water, powdered ginger and Zing™ Baking Blend. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 12 minutes. In a small cup, whisk together cornstarch and 1 Tbsp water. Add to blueberry mixture and let simmer another 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Place crepes on a serving plate and top with blueberry sauce. Serve immediately.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.